Sunday, September 19, 2010

Where do you focus your emotional energy?


Many of us waist emotional energy thinking about things that are pointless!


What if this happens? What if that happens? I should have done this, I should have done that. I have to. I must. If you find that your self-talk is contaminated with these cognitive distortions, you are misallocating your emotional resources.


Ask yourself this question: “How much of what I actually worry about actually happens?” If your honest with yourself, more than likely your answer will be that only a fraction of what I worry about actually happens. Then, determine how much of your thinking time you spend on these things. At this point, you probably have determined that you spend too much time on the what if’s, should haves, and must to’s. Start being more in the now. When you catch yourself feeding these irrational thoughts, tell yourself to stop. Divert your emotional resources to things that count. If you can do better at this you will be happier.


No comments:

Post a Comment