Sunday, November 28, 2010

What changes will you make?


"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi


Each one of us has the power to make the world a better place. I chose this quote by Mahatma Gandhi because I know that sometimes I lose sight of that. The great thing is that not only do we each have the power to make the world better, we have the ability to do it on an everyday basis. I know that sometimes I have thought "if I do.....what difference will it really make?" The reality is that everything we do impacts events and people. There is no such thing as small change, and while we might not always see the result of the changes we make, it does not diminish the significance of those changes.


Here are a few simple daily changes/activities to help make a positive change in the world:

- give your leftovers from restaurants to a homeless person

- use please and thank yous

- smile at people passing by

- hold the door for someone

- put your phone away when checking out at the store

- let someone in during traffic

These changes may not seem significant on the surface, but their impact could be huge. Your leftovers could prevent someone from starving. A simple please and thank you could alter the course of someone's day. A smile could provide someone with that extra little bit of self-esteem to help get them through their day. Holding the door could be taken as a sign of respect, and I know it makes me feel better when I feel respected. Same thing goes for the cashier at the checkout. Letting someone in during traffic could help prevent an accident, possibly save someone's life. At the very least, each one of those ideas would be enough to brighten someone's day, and isn't that alone worth doing it?


The thing about change is that we have to take personal responsibility for it, we cannot push it off on others. In Michael Jackson's song "Man in the Mirror" there is a verse that goes "if you want to make the world a better place than take a look at yourself and make a change." I challenge myself to start making daily positive changes. I challenge you as well to make positive daily changes, that WILL improve the quality of life for ourselves and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment